Tuesday, May 25, 2004

The magic of Edit.CycleClipboardRing

I've been using various text editors (QEdit, The Semware Editor, Emacs) for, ummm, 15 years. And I learned something from each of them. I just love using a well-designed editor with a powerful built-in macro language. The ability to easily customize, extend, and automate the environment one spends 8+ hours a day using is underrated. There was a community around builing macros for TSE and there is one for Emacs as well. (People actually write email & NNTP clients inside these text editors!) But I've given up using these editors in exchange for the editor built into Visual Studio 2003. Why? Integrated building, source control, and debugging. I've learned to live with a dumbed-down editor and was content with that. Until today.

Today I found Edit.CycleClipboardRing (ctrl-shift-v) in Visual Studio 2003. And it awoke in me a dormant desire to customize Visual Studio's editor. I'm wondering why, among all the various .NET fansites, isn't there one that focuses on extending and customizing Visual Studio? Sure, there are a few blog posts around here and there but no central repository.

Hmmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home